I’m one of those people that makes my own popcorn at home and takes it to the cinema. I love having control over the flavourings and it means I don’t have to eat popcorn coated in butter and a truckload of salt. It also means I don’t have to get frustrated at paying a fortune for a bucket of popcorn when corn kernels are one of the cheapest things you can buy! I always feel the need to hide it in my bag, as though I’m breaking some kind of unspoken rule of the cinema. I’m such a rebel….living on the edge!
Popcorn is possibly one of the easiest things you can make. Some people have a little fear over cooking it on the stove top rather than the microwave but really it couldn’t be easier. I cooked mine with coconut oil and seasoned it with paprika and cayenne pepper. I fell in love with the idea of spicy popcorn back in 2004 when I was travelling in Mexico. They love to put chilli sauce on everything, including popcorn. I was sceptical the first time I tried it but after that I was hooked.
I had a smile on my face the whole time I was making this popcorn. It’s just a fun thing to make and it always makes me happy when I hear the popping start. At times, I’m guilty of taking life a little too seriously, I need to make a conscious effort to relax, have fun and be a little childlike and playful on occasion. All it took was popping some corn to make me smile and remember that sometimes the simple things in life can bring about joy
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ cup corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- Add coconut oil to a pot, heat for a couple of minutes over a medium heat
- Pour corn kernels into the bottom of the pot, put the lid on and shake to make sure the kernels are all coated in the oil
- Leave to cook for a few minutes and then shake every minute or so until the kernels start popping
- Leave the lid on the pot until you can no longer hear any popping and take off the heat
- Pour popcorn into a large bowl with the seasoning's and mix well